Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blogging Buds

Julie of Julie Leah: A Lifestyle Blog and I have never met in person and honestly just took our relationship to the email level a few months ago, yet I feel like I've known her for years! Maybe it's her sweet personality or her mutual love for monograms and pink, possibly even her adorable little fur ball seen all over Instagram? Regardless I'm so happy to have this stylish blog friend on the Piqued PR blog today! 



Why did you decide to start blogging?
When I started my first real job after college, I was seeking a creative outlet. One of my best friends suggested that I start a blog. As I kept writing, I found that my blog became an integral part of my everyday routine. As time went on my blog continued to grow and evolve and I started making connections with other bloggers (some of whom have become close friends) and brands – I truly can’t imagine my life without my blog now.

How did you choose the name for your blog?
My blog originally started as Brown Eyed Belle. After blogging for about three years, I decided that my blog’s name didn’t really reflect the mission and brand of my blog. I was using “Julie Leah” on all my social media outlets, so it seemed like an obvious choice to have that reflected in my blog – and I like consistency. I felt like using my name in my blog title was an accurate reflection of what my blog was about – the things I love and the things that inspire me. I didn’t want to be locked into a name that I thought I would outgrow again.

What motivates you to keep blogging?
The connections and relationships that I’ve made over the last (almost) four years certainly keep me motivated. The response from my readers – comments, emails, tweets – gives me encouragement every day to continue creating unique, exciting content that they enjoy. Honestly, the beauty and inspiration that I find every day (on other blogs, on pinterest, on Instagram, etc) are two of the main things that motivate me. As long as I’m finding things and creating things that I just have to share with my readers, my motivation is limitless!

What are some qualities you believe a blogger needs to posses?
A unique voice, genuine interest in your readers, a passion for writing or photography – depending on the focus of your blog. I think you have to want to connect with your readers – respond to their comments, questions, tweets, etc. If your readers know you care, it means more than you even realize. The most important, in my opinion, is creating unique content. I can’t stress how important it is to be yourself and never copy from other bloggers. And know how to say “no.” Never commit to a collaboration or partnership that doesn’t feel right or reflect your blog’s mission. You will be surprised the opportunities that will present themselves because you were selective – I promise!

What do you consider your greatest success?
At this point in my life, graduate school is my biggest success. I was very burnt out when I finished my undergraduate degree. It would’ve been easy for me to throw up my hands and be done. I’m so thankful now that I had people pushing me and encouraging me along the way. It’s opened so many doors that wouldn’t have been opened had I not stuck it out for a couple more years!

What’s your social media outlet of choice and why?
Instagram is definitely my social media outlet of choice. I love being able to share little snippets of my life and interact with my readers and followers in a unique way that I can’t on my blog. The possibilities are endless with Instagram! (Pinterest is a close second!)



Thanks Julie! Be sure to read Brown Eyed Belle and follow along with Julie's social updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment