Friday, October 16, 2015

Business Babe: Mix & Match Design Company



Meet Chaney the designer behind the e-design services of Mix and Match Design Company. She's making the design process approachable and the it affordable to live in a well designed casa.

When and why did you decide to create your business? What was the light bulb moment?

I decided to create Mix & Match Design Company in the spring of 2015 after having spent the past several years writing a design/DIY blog (May Richer Fuller Be) and helping friends and family with design in their homes. I've always had a passion for helping people make their homes into places they love and wanted to be able to offer that as a service to a broader audience. The lightbulb moment came when I realized there are a whole bunch of folks out there who would never think or want to hire a traditional interior designer, but still want help choosing pieces and designing spaces in their homes in an affordable, approachable way that fits their schedules and budgets. E-design is a perfect fit for those needs and thus, Mix & Match was born!

What is your background and how did this help prepare you in regards to your business?

Oddly enough, my schooling and professional background are in something completely unrelated to design - medicine and healthcare. I've been pursuing creative endeavors on the side for a long time though, starting way back in high school when I started a ribbon belt business! I've spent the last several years honing my design skills primarily through writing my blog and designing spaces in both my own home and others'. Those experiences have had the biggest impact on preparing me to launch my business. 

What do you believe sets your business apart from others and competitors?

E-design is a nascent industry, so our primary focus is helping customers who wouldn't hire a traditional interior designer realize that affordable services are available through e-design. It's not all or nothing anymore! There are several e-design companies out there offering various services. Mix & Match Design Company differentiates itself by offering a more approachable set of services, which range from full custom room design to "finishing touches." For example, I've helped customers with everything from simply picking out a couple of rugs all the way up to planning a full master bedroom design in a new construction home. We also offer consultations by the hour and pre-designed "in-stock" design boards. 

What do you consider your greatest success?

My greatest success is taking a chance to start my own business. I never thought I would consider myself to be an entrepreneur, but I'm embracing that title now! To me, being successful is about taking a risk and following your passions, not necessarily making millions of dollars (although that would be nice, right?).

What is your favorite form of marketing and why?


Word-of-mouth recommendations. There's nothing better than a happy customer spreading the word to friends and family and giving them a personal recommendation to check out Mix & Match Design Company!


No comments:

Post a Comment