Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Business Babe: First & Marley


Truth be told I've never met Annie of First & Marley in person but I bet she's as sweet face to face as she is over email. I discovered the brand through a local of social networking and was immediately as a chic children's boutique is something the internet and my area lacks... I know this and I don't even have a kid! First & Marley is filling that need with their adorable merchandise. Oh and local ladies look out for their pop up shop at The Play Cafe until December 21st. 

You started First & Marley, an online children's clothing boutique, when you were pregnant and started shopping for your son, what factors drove you to pursue this opportunity?

I started First & Marley because I noticed that the choices for boys’ clothing was pretty limited. Most of the big name stores only carried clothing with dinosaurs, cars, robots, or sports prints, and anything other than that cost an arm and a leg. It wasn’t until I started researching other brands online that I found really stylish and affordable fashion options for kids.

I’ve always wanted to open my own boutique and I had the idea to sell these smaller, up and coming brands as well as some of the more well known brands in my store to give parents as many options as possible when shopping for their children. It also gives the smaller brands a chance to have their products carried in a store besides their own.

Describe your brand in one sentence:

First & Marley is a unique collection of high quality affordable children’s clothing and accessories.

Regardless of working with globally recognized brands or upcoming designers, what attributes do you look for in merchandise in order for it to be incorporated into your brand?

I look for unique styles and prints that you can’t find in most retail stores. I also try to find high quality products with lower price points. I want my customers to be able to shop at a boutique without having to pay high boutique prices.

What are some of your best selling accessories that parents can’t seem to get enough of? Do you have any personal favorites, if so which ones?

We have a great selection of “chewelry” for moms to wear while their children are teething. Our chew necklaces, bracelets, and toys contain no BPA, phthalates, lead, cadmium, or heavy metals, making them safe for children to chew on.

My personal favorites are our collection of baby moccasins that are very popular in kids’ fashion right now and our organic wooden teething rings.

How do you hope to see First & Marley grow in 5 years?

In 5 years I hope to have my own brick and mortar retail location for First & Marley (maybe 2 locations!) I also hope to be the go-to place for children's’ fashion in the Philadelphia area. 

Thanks Annie!




No comments:

Post a Comment