Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Business Babe: Melissa Alam

An online magazine, a co-working space, a photographer, a website designer... Melissa Alam is a multi-tasker entrepreneur just like me. I actually remember the first time I met her, it was during a LEVO League event when she raised her hand in the audience and asked me about how I became a young entrepreneur. A few years later she must have taken my advice because she's doing what she loves! 


When you founded Femme and Fortune in 2013, did you have any reservations about being an entrepreneur? 
Yes and no. Femme & Fortune was a passion project of mine, so financially I wasn't worried because it was pretty cost-friendly to create. As far as leading the magazine and being the face of it online and in person - then yes. Especially with passion projects, it's hard to balance and manage your time with money-making projects or work. As an entrepreneur, I had to figure out a healthy balance of my time and effort when it came to growing the site. 

What is one thing you wish people knew about you personally, and the interactive community and online magazine you've founded? 
About me personally is probably that I'm a serious goofball and prankster. I'm always plotting something (mostly to make the people around me laugh) - so beware! As for Femme & Fortune, I'd have to say that more people should know they can join the F&F movement and contribute their own voice to the site. I'm always looking for writers so feel free to reach out!

What do you envision for the future of your interactive network and online magazine to look like within the next five years?
I foresee more Hives for women across the country and world hopefully within five years. The potential for this co-working space I'm opening is huge, especially with more and more female-owned businesses being founded each day. I also hope to make Femme & Fortune a household resource for women in need of personal and professional advice, support and inspiration. 

You founded a magazine/social network committed to empowering women - who are your female role models that inspire you and why?
My female role models include Jessica Alba for adding entrepreneur to her career with her Honest Company, Mindy Kaling for being her hilarious self, and Sophia Amoruso because she's a badass #girlboss and inspiring women like me to keep the hustle going. 

If you could give advice to a five year younger version of yourself what would it be? 
My advice for 21 year old Melissa would be to make more mistakes. I've learned some of my best lessons in life from the mistakes I've made in the past, whether in my career or personal life. Overcoming them and moving on has made me stronger as a woman and businesswoman now!



No comments:

Post a Comment